The True Cost of Water
The service that your water company provides continues to be a great value, but like many basic services today, the costs are increasing.
When you turn on the faucet, the water flows — you expect your water to always be available. But what you may not know is that there is a lot of time that goes into ensuring you always have a reliable water supply delivered to your house. Your water company does more than just provide you with water; they provide a comprehensive service that includes:
monitoring and testing your water daily to ensure quality
providing ongoing maintenance on critical infrastructure
investing in various water supplies
preparing for emergencies such as earthquakes and fire
Water Bill Basics
Your water company sends you a bill each month, but what does it all mean? Here’s a quick guide to understanding your water bill:
- A fixed rate is for the service provided (meter)*
- A variable rate is based on the amount of water you use
* This cost is the same each month and often times is the bulk of the cost on your water bill
- 1 cubic foot = 7.48 gallons
- 100 cubic feet = 748 gallons (the water company bills you per 100 cubic feet)
- 1 gallon = less than $0.01
- 1 cubic foot = 7.48 gallons = $0.0748
- 100 cubic feet = 748 gallons = $7.48
Cost based on California averages
Even with increasing costs, tap water is a true bargain compared to other utilities and services.
Tap water … still the best deal around.