As of May 2016, the following activities are permanently prohibited by the State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB):
- No washing down sidewalks and driveways;
- No watering outdoor landscapes in a manner that causes excess runoff;
- NO washing a motor vehicle with a hose, unless the hose is fitted with a shut off nozzle;
- No operating a fountain or decorative water feature, unless the water is part of a recirculating system;
- No irrigating turf or ornamental landscapes during and 48 hours following measurable precipitation;
- Restaurants and other food service establishments can only serve water to customers on request; and
- Hotel/motel operators must provide guests with the option of choosing not to have towels and linens laundered daily.
All California water users must meet a state-mandated 20 percent reduction in per capita water use by 2020 – a requirement that was enacted by state legislation (SBx7-7) in 2009.